This is the official position of our lady of perpetual help on women's healthcare
All women deserve and should have access to preventive and at need healthcare that recognizes the unique needs their bodies present. All women should retain the right to personal choices regarding reproductive healthcare , including the choice to have children, use birth control, or terminate a pregnancy. Such decisions should be a personal matter determined by the woman with the educated and scientific counsel of her healthcare provider and with the counsel of her partner, family, or trusted advisors, if desired by the woman. The Church should make no judgment or offer any teachings that object to or limit the woman’s freedom of choice in such matters.
- We believe that women face differing healthcare needs than men;
- We believe that as a faith community we must be responsible to refrain from religious instruction that limits, discourages, or prohibits a woman’s access to necessary and available healthcare choices;
- We believe that scripture instructs us to honor the women in our lives;
- We believe that we show respect by showing support for equal access for all women healthcare that she self-determines;
- We believe that we as a religious community, as a local community, as a government, or as individuals do not have the right to limit or determine healthcare choices for women;
- We believe that all women should have unrestricted access to gynecological, breast, and reproductive care and to the many choices such care may offer;
- We believe that choice by the individual is paramount; we are pro-choice, we are not pro-abortion or anti-abortion;
- We believe that each situation is different and requires the prayerful support of the parish family without judgment;
- We believe that The Progressive Episcopal Church official position states it well;
- We understand a woman's choice to govern her own body.
- We also recognize that human life is sacred, both that of the mother and her unborn child.
- Any mother considering abortion should prayerfully consider all aspects of her situation, and follow her conscience.
- Each choice has its consequences; the weight of responsibility lies fully with the mother, and no one else.
- We will support her, regardless of her choice and whether or not we agree with it.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help condemns every instance of refusal of care or legislated interference that interrupts access to care;
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help stands in support of the rights of women to healthcare choices and care that is affordable and accessible;
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help will speak out publicly through words and actions against any denial of these basic rights to choice in healthcare;
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help will always welcome and serve as a safe haven for women regardless of their choices in reproductive healthcare;
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help proclaims that while much progress has been made in women’s healthcare that denial of care, restriction of care, and lack of access to healthcare is prevalent, alive, and active in our communities and must be denounced and eliminated.